Yesterday saw the launch of the Superhero Series, the UK’s only mass-participation sports series for everyday superheroes. A host of Paralympic
medalists including Sophia Warner, Marc Woods and Team Captains Sophie Christiansen, JJ Chalmers, Sophie Morgan, Anne Dickins and Megan Giglia attended the launch event at Beany Green in Paddington, and encouraged the public to sign up to this project and get involved in this unparalleled event.
With disability sport gaining traction on the back of the success of the 2016 Paralympic Games, the Superhero Series is designed to increase the number of disabled p
eople taking part in physical activity at all levels. The series promotes inclusivity by eliminating restrictive rules and regulations that are regularly enforced in mass-participation events.
If you would like the opportunity to be picked for a Celebrity Superhero’s team, visit www.superheroseries.co.uk to enter the competition. All you have to do is state which stage of the triathlon you would like to do, and why you should be picked for a Celebrity Superhero’s team.
The Superhero Series is designed for everyone from total beginners through to elite athletes. The inaugural event is on 19 August 2017 at Dorney Lake, Windsor.
In addition to the Celebrity Superhero Tri, the event that kick starts the project will consist of three triathlon events over three distances. You do not have to participate in all three stages.
There are three ways to take part:
- Team up – For those who want to participate with family and friends (disabled and non-disabled) to do a stage each. This is the best option for those who might excel at one or two stages but might hit a wall with the third.
- Grab a Sidekick – This race is a unique chance to power your Superhero around the entire course. Prepare to tow them in the water and pull and push them around the bike and push/run sections. You can both be sure of a hero’s welcome when you cross the finish line.
- Fly solo – ‘Flying solo’ doesn’t mean you have to do it all alone. Every Superhero needs a Sidekick sometimes and, as with all the challenges, you’re welcome to bring support for one or more stages.
The three distances:
- Sprint Superhero Tri: 150m swim, 3k bike, 1k push/run
- Half Superhero Tri: 400m swim, 10k bike, 2.5k push/run
- Full Superhero Tri: 750m swim, 20k bike, 5k push/run