Thursday 12 June 2018
Disability Sheffield and Sheffield City Trust (SIV) are looking for disabled people to be part of a steering group to improve customer experiences at SIV (Sheffield International Venues) venues. They are looking for individuals who are interested in developing a better experience for disabled people using leisure services and offer critical feedback with practical solutions.
This is an exciting opportunity to get involved and contribute to a new way of working – something that could have both local and national implications for people’s health and well-being!
The steering group
The steering group will be made up of disabled people or people with long term health needs, Disability Sheffield and SIV management. The group will use their expertise and knowledge to guide SIV with clear and concise guidance on how it can be more inclusive for disabled people in its policies, processes and programmes. This is a service which needs to be inclusive of a wide range of needs and your input will create a better service.
The time commitments for this steering group will be decided on by successful applicants. Please note this is flexible to individual circumstances.
The steering group role:
- Identify how to better involve disabled people in a way that is realistic and practical for SIV, yet highly impactful for disabled people
- Identify priorities, assess impact and drive change
- Hold SIV to account for delivering this implementation plan
- Inform and influence SIV equality statements and policies
- Help SIV share best practice amongst partners, SPORTA trusts and beyond
- Highlight and feedback issues that are beyond the remit of the steering group to relevant bodies
- Steering group will report to SIV Trust Board
- Steering group is not directly accountable to any other body
- Steering group will feedback progress to all who have taken part in associated work – e.g. disabled people
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Lived experience of disabilities or people with long term health needs
Interest in physical activity/leisure/entertainment sector
- Passion for inclusivity
- Expertise in, and experience of developing user/person-led initiatives and change is advantageous
- Willingness to, and experience of, working with people who have different experiences and views to deliver collaborative change
As a member you will
- Have access to a number of benefits (dependent upon personal needs and preferences) to include:
- Free / discounted membership to SIV venues
- Free access to SIV activities including swimming, ice skating and others
- Free lifeCARD including member discounts on SIV activities and food
- Tickets to selected shows at Sheffield Arena and City Hall
- Partner vouchers (e.g. Meadowhall, Fit Co)
- Refreshments at meetings
- More TBC
Interested in joining the steering group?
If you are interested in getting involved and joining the steering group please contact:
Emily Morton at Disability Sheffield by 8th August 2018.
Or phone 0114 2536747